By Cui Can The old town of Dukezong in Shangri-La County，Yunnan province was virtually destroyed by fire on January 11, 2014. It was reported that two third of the town had been wiped out and the local economy had been very badly affected.
DAtrans is an international architecture office located in M50 of Shanghai. Recently, its director Chen XuDong gave a lecture entitled “context, surface and symbiosis”. We travelled to his office to explore some of his ideas further.
Interviewers: Thomas Kirby & Lv Yixin Photographer: Kong Ye – Recently Fergus Comer, project architect for Heatherwick Studio based in Shanghai, gave a lecture at XJTLU about the company’s work across the globe
- By Mengfei Yu, Jiehan Li, Hugh Gibbs and Xinyue Zhong – Walking around the China Academy of Art (CAA) Campus in Hangzhou, you cannot escape the feelings of nature that has impacted the design development of architect Wang Shu.
- By Chien-hua Huang – The first West Bund Biennale (The West Bank Architecture and Contemporary Art Biennale 2013) has now open to the public. It includes a series of work including architecture, contemporary art, theatre and incorporates sound tools, videos, spatial experiences, etc.. The exhibition for this event is [...]
- by Su Zhan – Background Figure 1: Nanxi River: How people live in this area This article was inspired form a book called ‘Old Houses’ (Chen and Li, 2000) which is a collection of the traditional Chinese dwellings of Zhejiang province. I have visited several of these buildings during [...]
- by Zhang Jiayun – In 2012, the ‘Chocolate Republic’ was completed in Taiwan, the first chocolate museum in Asia.
- by Ding Mi – (photos: Ding Mi) – While the Chinese economy has boomed, the construction sector (especially residential market) has also seen a dramatic rise over the last 30 years.